The Scholars Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SWC guild for Scholars in the combine. A place to read, discuss, present and learn about Philosophies, cultures, language amongst other things. The guild is faction neutral and accepts all into its halls.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

the Derra Situation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

the Derra Situation Empty
PostSubject: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:20 pm

I have heard reports of mob violence on Derra (?), and then I have heard reports of entire armies being sent from the GA and GE... Can anyone tell me exactly what happened to spark this, and the reason for the heavy-handed response by the two Super Powers?
Back to top Go down
Mao Aadir
Scholar
Scholar
Mao Aadir

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 am

Much information on the progression of the Derra conflict can be found here:
http://www.swcombine.com/forum/thread.php?thread=55137&page=0

I will attempt to summarize with the information that I have. The Derra conflict was begun due to a proliferation of a highly contagious disease, the origin of which is unknown. This disease causes heightened aggression and insatiable bloodlust in those it infects. Naturally, this caused complete chaos and violence to erupt on the planet surface.

This is where the linked record above begins. Several small organizations, the foremost of these being First Sun, attempted to declare martial law on Derra, claiming that it was in an effort to "bring peace and safety" while being accused of seizing control of the sole military establishment so that they could train an exclusive army unhindered. The Krath were the first of the Galactic Alliance on the scene and dedicated themselves to routing First Sun after a failed peace agreement. One thing led to another and representatives from almost every GA government found there way to Derra in time to meet a legion of Imperial troops in battle. The results of this conflict are still unsure, but it appears that the Empire was driven back.

This information can be further supplemented with many of the recent GNS articles.
Back to top Go down
Ashura Harma
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Ashura Harma

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 pm

I heard an interesting theory about Derra. It is said that it is a GE trap. They lure most of the GA troops at Derra, all the while scouting the galaxy to discover unfound systems before anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Mao Aadir
Scholar
Scholar
Mao Aadir

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Regardless of the exact reasons, the GE are definitely placing less emphasis on Derra than the GA are. Strange.
Back to top Go down
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Genius strategy, if proven true!

How big of forces are we talking here? Are they both throwing their all? Is it one sided?
Back to top Go down
Mao Aadir
Scholar
Scholar
Mao Aadir

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 am

Both sides would tell you that only a fraction of their forces are on the ground at Derra, but in my opinion we are seeing a much larger chunk of the Galactic Alliance forces then we are seeing of the Empire's. I do not know exact numbers for the GA, but the Empire has only ever landed one legion on the ground. From my estimates, a legion consists of upwards of... 50ish troops? Does anyone have a more informed estimate?
Back to top Go down
Jorus Serto
Junior Scholar
Junior Scholar

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm

An Imperial Legion consists of thousands, if not tens of thousands, of combat personnel. However, only a few hundred of these have been deployed to the surface of Derra as of yet. I have also heard tale of several Imperial Star Destroyers languishing in the space around Derra - no doubt these will be dropping more troops onto the planet in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Mao Aadir
Scholar
Scholar
Mao Aadir

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Thank you for correcting my ignorance. I spoke only from hints and rumors.
Back to top Go down
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 5:37 am

After reading reports, I was very interested in the roles of mercenary units, privateers, and such in the conflict. It seems obvious the First Sun had an...interesting role in the early organized conflict, eventually switching from cooperating with the Krath and GA to fighting against them with the GE, but we also saw deployment of Mandalorian tribes, and several private commanders offering their services to either side. My question is two-fold:

1) is this at all significant? In a war between GA and GE, will these private armies of varying temperments be seen as valuable allies, menaces, or disregarded as untrustworthy?

2.) while several of these third parties seem decent;y equipped for land combat, is this the focus of them, or do some of them boast formidable navies as well?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the Derra Situation   the Derra Situation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the Derra Situation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Scholars Guild :: Rooms of The Guild :: Politics-
Jump to: