The Scholars Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SWC guild for Scholars in the combine. A place to read, discuss, present and learn about Philosophies, cultures, language amongst other things. The guild is faction neutral and accepts all into its halls.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Let's roleplay!

Go down 
+4
Belloq
Ashura Harma
Rennek Cor
Paul Luz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Hello all!

I would like to propose an RP for Guild members, either here, or on the SWC Meeting Hall (free advertisement!). We could do a scholarly RP, like an excavation, zoological tracking of rare species, or an investigation that goes sour...

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Rennek Cor
Scholarly Administrator
Rennek Cor

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Certainly appeals to me, I would be on board
Back to top Go down
https://scholarsguild.forumotion.co.uk
Ashura Harma
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Ashura Harma

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 9:45 pm

I have sworn on my life to never do a White (or even Red) Scenario again. They are sooooooo boring.

Well, to say a little bit more, I'm a pen and paper roleplayer, and what is called RP in Combine or some various forum is just lightyears away from the real experience. Mainly, RP is a lot about characters interaction between them or the GM's NPCs, and that aspect is totally absent from WS. Usually, WS consist of long posts in past tense (that's point seems soooo important) where people rants about how their characters are great, and then minimal interaction with other players and the environment.
Back to top Go down
Rennek Cor
Scholarly Administrator
Rennek Cor

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 10:15 pm

I actually 100% agree with that. Im not a fan of WS as they are very much exploring how brilliant a character is, without exploring weaknesses or interactions. I would be more than on board with something a lot more leaning towards your definition of RP
Back to top Go down
https://scholarsguild.forumotion.co.uk
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 5:27 am

Well, I RP within the Avance Coalition community, and it is very different from what you see in the "meeting hall" RP's. We have moderators who have thought out a well constructed plot, full of NPC's, and we interact with the other pC's. We also have a very strong policy against god-moding, and folks will call you out (or more than likely PM you) with any concerns.

This is how I imagine it.

It can be closed to just Guild members, and one of us can moderate it. I'd be willling, but I am modding one already, and need time to think of a good plot.

Does this put your fears to rest?
Back to top Go down
Belloq
Scholar
Scholar
Belloq

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 6:37 pm

I can attest that Mr. Luz's Avance RP are heads and tails above what the standard WS and Meeting Hall RPs are like. There is plenty of action, as well as interaction, and a plyer has to be able to think on their feet and improvise: one might go out for a nice, quiet day of Rancor hunting, say, and before you know it, you're on a pirate-run space station under attack by freindly forces, and your only hope is to commandeer an enemy HWK and try to blast your way out before the whole place goes up in flames.

But whether Mr. Luz runs it, or someone else, I'm all for it.
Back to top Go down
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 3:35 am

Hello!

I have written a rather large RP for the Guild. It has three or four different simultanious arcs in it, and has a fair mix of violent and non-violent options for all kinds of players. I would like to start it in 2014 in the Darkness RP forums so it doubles as good PR and builds interest.

I currently have an RP in with the Avance Coalition Rangers that is enterings its 8th active month, so you know that I am active and can keep a story going.

Let me know if anyone is interested in this! If so, reply with a very short bio including areas of research interest and whether you tend to end up in violent or nonviolent scrapes.

look forward to RPing with you all!
Back to top Go down
Talyn Xam
Scholar
Scholar
Talyn Xam

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 4:57 am

I am very interested in this and will post a more complete bio later, but I can briefly answer now. My areas of research interest are linguistics, culture and military sciences and my escapades usually tend towards the more violent and aggressive.
Back to top Go down
Ashura Harma
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Ashura Harma

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 12:54 pm

I will enter this RP session. I'm writing an OOC article on tips to RP a scholar ...
Back to top Go down
Thali`a
Junior Scholar
Junior Scholar
Thali`a

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 5:01 pm

I would join in, once I see the topic I guess. I am not the best RP'er. But let me know and if can feel I can then I will. I can write it however you need, but as I am used to writing for holocrons but usual style is past tense, third person. But I did RP with my brother and also in various taverns. I just don't do it alot.

But I will keep an eye on this thread for further information. Very good idea though Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 4:34 am

Right now I have two stories ready to go.

the first is a much larger plot exploring different dark secrets of a mining company trying to take control of a planet. We see companies owning planets all the time, and this will look into what that looks like on the ground. there are about three or four different plot arcs that go on at the same time, so there are many options for scholars to get involved in geology, religion, culture, and military things. My only concern is it may be a bit large for a smaller group like ourselves, but it would be very fun, I think.

The second option is a "treasure hunt" kind of thing following some leads in some old texts uncovered by another scholar. Fields covered in this would be mechanics, astrophysics, culture, and history. There may also be some room for pistol-toters as well.

Either of these are ready to go once I return back to school after the new year.
Back to top Go down
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 2:35 am

does anyone have any particular interest in either? the treasure hunt would be better for a smaller group I think, but if the first sounds more interesting, it's ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Torc Tarmin
Junior Scholar
Junior Scholar
Torc Tarmin

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 5:36 am

The first does sound preferable to me but what does everyone else think?
Back to top Go down
Talyn Xam
Scholar
Scholar
Talyn Xam

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 7:23 am

I like either, but let's go with the more challenging first option.
Back to top Go down
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Sweet! I will work on writing up the first prompts and then get it up in the public boards so everyone can see how cool the Guild is. Look for "Scholar's Guild RP" within a week or so (it's a lot to type up).

If we don't have a decent amount of participants, you all can invite a friend who is guild-minded.

In addition, I would like to issue a challenge! At the end of the RP (which might be rather long) each arc should be able to publish a paper to the guild about something they encountered. There is at least one field of study for every arc, and there is something interesting to study. What does everyone think of this idea?
Back to top Go down
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 8:01 pm

the RP is up. the preparations were quicker than I thought.
Back to top Go down
Torc Tarmin
Junior Scholar
Junior Scholar
Torc Tarmin

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 10:43 pm

I'll put a post in soon but I'll have to lie about my current position as I cannot actually give that away.
Back to top Go down
Kraak Ak-Xaiva
Junior Scholar
Junior Scholar

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 12:26 am

I always sign up for anything RP, perhaps sometimes with too much haste. White Scenarios are certainly their own style, but it's the personalities involved that make them the 'stars of the show,' not the format itself.

The bonus that I didn't see mentioned is the attention this will bring to the Guild. There are some new players around, and this will probably be their first reference to the SG, and I don't see how it would affect it in any way but a positive one.
Back to top Go down
Paul Luz
Senior Scholar
Senior Scholar
Paul Luz

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 8:45 pm

hey, so are y'all still planning on participating? The fun is about to start
Back to top Go down
Torc Tarmin
Junior Scholar
Junior Scholar
Torc Tarmin

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 1:05 am

Been busy, will post later tonight or in the morning
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Let's roleplay!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's roleplay!    Let's roleplay!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's roleplay!
Page 1 of 1